Polenta with Lamb Ragu
- 3 1/2 cups polenta
- 3 cups milk
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 4 cloves galic, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to serve
For the Polenta:
- Bring the milk and vegetable stock to a boil and whisk in the polenta slowly.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes until done (if you do not have the instant polenta).
- Stir often and serve with the Ragu sauce below.
For the Ragu:
This sauce can be prepared a day or two in advance...in my opinion, preparing it ahead of time gives the sauce time to sit while the flavors incorporate together, making for a smoother taste.
- Finely chop the carrot, celery, white onion, and garlic.
- Place a little olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the ground lamb and pork and cook until browned.
- Pour the wine in the pan and cook until the wine has evaporated.
- Add the tomato puree and bay leaf and stir. Reduce your heat to simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on top of the cooked polenta on a large flat surface (such as a wooden cutting board). Sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top to serve.
This recipe is so much fun and I know you will enjoy it with the 2011 Joie de Vivre!